10. Having good friends makes life fun. Having great friends makes life easier.
9. Necessities exist on a sliding scale. You need more to get through life than just your basic needs.
8. There’s like, all these funny looking things that come out of the ground. They’re all different colours and shapes. “Flowers” I think they’re called. Anyway, they’re pretty, and it’s fun to go on walks and look at them.
7. A lot of people are incredibly vapid and have no desire to use their brains beyond what will get them through the day. However, those people are a minority. Most people, if you slow down enough to chat, are actually quite interesting. They won’t all engage you in hours long conversation about mathematical theory, but that’s not the only interesting subject in the world.
6. A lot of people are really terrible at making eye contact during conversation. It’s a shame too, because it’s such an effective way to make sure you’re both listening to one another.
5. I’m really glad my parents forced me to learn French as a kid. A lot of sexy people speak it and they’re always impressed by it.
4. Go on dates, even if you’re nervous, even if you don’t think you look all that sexy in that moment, even if you’d rather die than risk romantic embarrassment. Go on the date. Be yourself. At worst, you’ll have a good story to tell. At best, you’ll have made a new friend. And who knows what friendship could turn into?
3. Your friends will make decisions you don’t necessarily agree with. Being a good friend means letting them live their lives while you keep their mouth shut.
2. A lot of stuff happens in the world offline. But a lot of stuff happens in the world online. You’re allowed to participate in your culture’s zeitgeist. Just don’t forget that the zeitgeist happens across multiple platforms.
1. No matter how priceless you think any material object is, it can always be replaced or you can get a new object with the meaning infused.
Apparently, tile and computers don’t mix. But I have a new laptop now, and my interwebs connection is ready to go. Your regular programming begins again on Monday.